Saturday 22 September 2012

Day 18: Technology Day

After my recent sneak peek at the scales, and my enthusiasm for what they showed, I decided it was time I invested in really good scales.  I've had my doubts about the old set.  They are the simple type with a spinning dial - could their accuracy be affected by the strain of over a decade of having heavy people stand on them, hoping for better news?

Accordingly, I picked up a set of fancy scales from our favourite pharmacy.  Would they work?  A woman behind the desk reassured me that she'd bought them and thought they were great.  I got them home, and read the instructions.  Of course they needed AAA batteries, and we had none left.  Back out to the store.   Lucky I'd done all my chores for the day....

With my eco-friendly rechargeable batteries duly installed, I followed the instructions and got my weight.  Amazing!  Exactly the same as the old scales.  Maybe old tech is better than I was prepared to give it credit for.

Moreover, new tech turned out not to be that superb either.  Mind you, it's gorgeous - glass and digital readings and everything.  It reads tenths of pounds and kilos - something I couldn't possibly have got from the rotary scales.  It is supposed to read my body fat, something I was very enthusiastic to learn.  Apparently it sends some sort of electric pulse through your body and works out how much fat, bone and muscle you've got.  What's not to like?

Well, my main gripe is that apart from weight, I haven't had a reading yet.  I waited in vain for % fat and other metrics, then looked for troubleshooting notes.  I found the bit at the end of the booklet that said not to use rechargeable batteries.

Defeated!  But never mind - with luck I'll get some non-rechargeables tomorrow, and find out about what my body is made of.  Unless the technology finds some other way to trip me up.

On a more positive note, I found by this evening that I'd consumed almost no carbs other than the green leaves ignored by this diet.  I'd had a large lump of cheese in a hungry moment, but on reading the label, I found it was carbohydrate-free!  I had green beans in my salad at suppertime, but on googling their carb content, I found the small serving I ate had only about 1g carbohydrate - I suppose they're largely water and fiber.  My allocation per day is 60 grams of carbohydrate, and I'd hardly had any!  So as a treat before bedtime, I indulged in 100g of salted cashews (25g carbs).  Funny - when you haven't eaten much in the way of carbs, cashews taste pleasantly sweet!  Moreover, they are much more filling than they were before I started this diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment