Thursday 6 September 2012

Day 2 - Ouch!

I wasn't wholly prepared for today.  In addition to getting used to a new routine, I had to get the kids to school for the first day of term, and of course I had to get to work.  I got up at 6am and by some miracle the kids were more or less on time and so was I, but what a rush!

First came the pain, though.  As soon as I was out of bed, I was into my running kit and out on the road.  The sun was out and warm on my face, the roads were quiet apart from a few long distance commuters, and I could smell the faintly musty, warm fragrance of recently harvested grain.  Of course, all this distracted me, and so I failed to stretch before running.  I followed the book - the exercise followed by the long wait before eating - but the book isn't there to remind you to stretch - you're meant to have a bit of sense.   My thighs still hurt, many hours later.

After an invigorating run, I thought I'd be in great condition to brave the cold bath.  Yet again, a triumph of hope over sense.  It was far more painful than yesterday.  By the end of my bath, I'd warmed the water by 1.5C, but I felt nothing like the sense of accomplishment that I felt yesterday - I just felt cold.  Very, very cold.  Nevertheless, I survived the full 15 minutes, including a good scrub and washed hair.  An hour later, as I was finally eating my breakfast, I still felt cold.  I thought my body was supposed to warm itself up - that was how I'd lose weight, by burning fat to stay warm.  Is this working?

Lunch was a huge salad - a whole head of cob lettuce, a tin of sardines, a handful of walnuts.  This was actually pretty satisfying, so I didn't feel hungry at all in the afternoon - but I did need my cups of milky tea and coffee.  You're meant to have these drinks black, but somehow I knew that I needed the white stuff to keep myself motivated.  Never mind the cold bath - I want my tea!  So I have officially decided that black tea and coffee are optional on my version of the diet.  But no sweeteners, and I'm not going overboard, it's still mostly water - besides, I'm using unsweetened soya milk, which has a very low carbohydrate count.

The hardest thing to get used to (at least, as of Day 2) is remembering to plan exercise and waiting time before a meal.  I get to lunchtime, I think - Hooray!  Then I remember that I haven't gone for a walk yet, haven't had the wait.  So today's lunchtime was a walk around our site, followed by making my salad (a shorter wait than I was supposed to have, but it will do for today), and finally the meal.  I got several comments on my "healthy" lunch.  No one has guessed my guilty secret - that I am desperate to lose weight.  Will they notice when I come in wearing a size smaller outfit?

One great relief today - I had no headaches.  I don't know why yesterday was so bad and today has not been.  Have I been slacking, or was it a 24-hour wonder?  I hope it's the latter - a sign that I had some clearing out to do, and that now the worst of the toxins are out of my system.  However, that once again sounds like a triumph of hope over sense.  So have the toxins stayed, and am I in for more headaches?  One thing is for sure - painful thighs are much more tolerable than a splitting head.

No comments:

Post a Comment